|Where There's Smoke...|
|Original Airdate||October 5, 2012|
|Previous Episode: Reignited|
|Next Episode: 2,918 Miles|
Where There's Smoke... is the second episode in season nine of CSI: NY.
The CSIs rush to stop serial arsonist Leonard Brooks after he begins using fire against people from his dark past.
Rita Lowman is trapped in an elevator, looking up with terror as fire springs to life on the ceiling. She is broiled alive by the heat. Security footage shows that convicted arsonist Leonard Brooks is behind the fire, and they head to his apartment to find it empty. The press is describing Brooks as a monster who killed an innocent woman, but he calls Mac to disagree with what they’re saying—he doesn’t deny being a monster himself, but he claims that his victim was not innocent.
Later, in the park, Jimmy Clark eats a sandwich and takes a drink of water before collapsing on the ground while Brooks watches. At first, it seems like the man had a heart attack, but in reality he was burned from the inside out. Brooks put cesium in the mayonnaise on his sandwich, which mixed with the man’s water to create a chemical reaction that gives off intense heat. The burning substance made its way down his esophagus and into his stomach, where it mixed with his stomach acid and caught fire.
Rita Lowman is an alias, and the woman’s real name is Jennifer Brooks—she’s Leonard’s mother. Jimmy was his foster brother, and they both beat him as a child. The team tracks Brooks down to a hospital where his mother used to work, locating him in time to save his foster sister Rachel from meeting a horrific fate.
- Gary Sinise as Mac Taylor
- Sela Ward as Jo Danville
- Carmine Giovinazzo as Danny Messer
- Hill Harper as Sheldon Hawkes
- Eddie Cahill as Don Flack
- Anna Belknap as Lindsay Messer
- AJ Buckley as Adam Ross
- Robert Joy as Dr. Sid Hammerback
- Natalie Martinez as Jamie Lovato
- Rob Morrow as Leonard Brooks
- Victoria Hoffman as Rita Lowman
- Laura Parker as Young Jennifer Brooks
- Cara Pifko as Rachel Moore
- David Bloom as Young Leonard
- Brace Harris as Uni
- Napoleon Tavale as ESU
- Julie McKinnon as A/V Lab Tech
- The story that Leonard Brooks is reading is Franz Kafka's The Metamorphosis. An interesting short story about a guy that changes a large, monstrous insect-like creature. The title in German is Die Verwandlung, also sometimes translated as The Transformation.
|CSI:NY Season 9|
|Reignited • Where There's Smoke... • 2,918 Miles • Unspoken • Misconceptions • The Lady in the Lake • Clue: SI • Late Admissions • Blood Out • The Real McCoy • Command+P • Civilized Lies • Nine Thirteen • White Gold • Seth and Apep • Blood Actually • Today is Life|