The Las Vegas Crime Lab is a scientific laboratory located in Las Vegas, which uses primarily forensic science for the purpose of examining evidence from criminal cases while determining who is responsible for the crime that has been committed.
CSIs are equipped with guns in the field, but are not considered police officers. CSIs often mention this to suspects to make them feel more comfortable. 
The Crime Lab is headed by Undersheriff Conrad Ecklie and reports directly into the Sheriff's office.  Ecklie was once the Assistant Director and also former Dayshift supervisor of the Crime Lab, but was promoted to Undersherrif after former Undersheriff Jeffrey McKeen was arrested for killing CSI Warrick Brown in the Season 9 opening episode, "For Warrick".
In addition to that, all CSI personnel including some of the techs usually wear stab vests if they're out in the field, doing work or investigating any crime scenes. As well as giving the tags which ID'ds them as LVPD CSIs, they also give the wearer's surname and have various pockets useful for carrying small objects.
The Crime Lab has three shifts:
- Day shift - 7 am to 3 pm
- Swing shift - 3 pm to 11 pm
- Night shift - 11 pm to 7 am
Each shift has a different supervisor.
- Day shift - Karson Hess (Returned after Conrad Ecklie became undersheriff.)
- Swing shift -
- Night shift - Supervisor: D.B. Russell, assistant supervisor Julie Finlay/Finn
Different CSIs work on different shifts:
- Day shift - Sean Yeager
- Swing shift -
- Night shift- Nick Stokes, Greg Sanders, Sara Sidle, Morgan Brody.
Different lab techs specialize in different areas:
- Trace - David Hodges.
- DNA/Toxicology - Henry Andrews.
- Ballistics - Xiomara Garcia; Bobby Dawson(now on Day Shift.)
- Fingerprints - Mandy Webster.
- Audio/Video/Handwriting - Archie Johnson.
- Gil Grissom- (Night Shift Season 1-9;Eventually married Sara Sidle and left the Crime Lab to go guest lecture).
- Catherine Willows- (Swing Shift in Season 5 and night shift season 9-12; Resigned to go accept a position in the FBI).
- Karson Hess- (Day Shift post season 1; Resigned to accept position at the Los Angeles Crime Lab)
- Riley Adams- (Resigned due to issues with Catherine Willows's leadership as well as feeling that the team was not working together and accepted a law enforcement position in the Midwest).
- Warrick Brown- (Deceased. Murdered at the hands of ex-Undersheriff Jeffrey McKeen)
- Raymond Langston- (Left the Crime Lab after his IA inquiry and moved to Baltimore to be with Gloria).
- Wendy Simms- (Resigned from the Crime Lab to accept a position at a Crime Lab in Portland where her sister lives).
- Mia Dickerson- (Resigned).
Inside the CSI Las Vegas Crime Lab Building
Break Room: Where all personnel in the Lab go if they need something to eat or drink or just regroup in general during or after a very tough case.
Senior Supervisors Office: Formerly belonging to Gil Grissom which was decorated with various pieces of his bug and insect collection. In season 9-12, this office belonged to assistant Night shift supervisor, Nick Stokes. Now, this office is shared by most of the CSI team and their new supervisor, D.B. Russell.
Junior Supervisors Office: Formerly belonging to Catherine Willows before resigned. Now assumed to belong to Karson Hess.
DNA Lab: Where Greg Sanders and his replacements, Chandra Moore, Mia Dickerson and Wendy Simms once worked. Henry Andrews, the Crime Lab's expert on toxins works there, having been chosen as the permanent replacement.
Trace: Where David Hodges works.
Audio/Video: Archie Johnson works here.
Handwriting: Archie works here too.
Evidence Garage: Where the team usually work on various cars and jeeps related to the current case.
Layout Room: Where various photos relating to the current case the team are working on are usually displayed and the table is often used so that rough sketches can be drawn or the team can ponder on the case, looking for new ideas.
Locker Room: Where the CSIs store their personal belongings.