|A Space Oddity|
|Original Airdate||April 16, 2009|
A Space Oddity is the twentieth episode in season nine of CSI: Crime Scene Investigation.
CSIs are called to investigate a murder at an Astro Quest convention. The victim is responsible for Astro Quest Redux, a "re-imagining" of the classic 1960s show that faces opposition from die-hard fans. During the investigation, Astro Quest fans David Hodges and Wendy Simms have dream sequences based on their previously unexpressed mutual attraction and their memories of the original series.
|This section is a stub and requires expanding|
- Laurence Fishburne as Raymond Langston
- Marg Helgenberger as Catherine Willows
- George Eads as Nick Stokes
- Eric Szmanda as Greg Sanders
- Robert David Hall as Dr. Al Robbins
- Wallace Langham as David Hodges
- Lauren Lee Smith as Riley Adams
- Paul Guilfoyle as Jim Brass
- Archie Kao as Archie Johnson
- Liz Vassey as Wendy Simms
- Jon Wellner as Henry Andrews
- Sheeri Rappaport as Mandy Webster
- Ronald D. Moore as a convention attendee
- Grace Park as a convention attendee
- Rekha Sharma as a convention attendee
- Jaime Ray Newman as Melinda Carver
- Kate Vernon as Dr. Penelope Russell
- Wendy (to Hodges): "So if you're having some fantasies about me dressed up in a tin foil bikini dancing around in a casbah on a strange alien planet then... good."
- Hodges: "Good?"
- Wendy: "Yes, good. Because it means you're not as oblivious as everyone around here seems to think you are."
- The title may be a reference to either the science fiction classic 2001: A Space Odyssey or David Bowie's song of the same name.
- This episode spoofs Star Trek. Wallace Langham, Liz Vassey, Kate Vernon, Bradley Thompson, David Weddle, Naren Shankar and Ronald D. Moore all worked on assorted Trek spin-offs in one capacity or another. Also, many of the 'fantasy' sequences between Hodges and Simms are obvious spoofs of scenes from Star Trek. For example, the scene where Hodges and Simms are wearing "obedience collars" and Simms is running Hodges trough training exercises is clearly an homage to the episode Star Trek: The Gamesters of Trikelion, which has a scene that is nearly identical.
- At the beginning of the episode Hodges and Simms meet in a Whatificon. It's a parody of the original SciFicon or "sci-fi's conventions", dedicated exactly to the sci-fi movies and TV series like Star Trek, Star Wars or Battlestar Galactica, among others. In addition, in the Whatificon people went disguised of aliens from movies & TV series, a trademark of the real SciFicon.
- The episode also references the reimagined Battlestar Galactica. The scene taking place at the Whatificon, where Danson reveals "Astro Quest Redux" is purposefully reminiscent of when Ronald D Moore (who plays the character yelling to Danson "You Suck!") revealed the new Battlestar Galactica, as its producer.
- The alphabet used for the fictional Vellikon language displayed on Wendy's screen at the end of the episode is the same as the Aurabesh alphabet used in Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope.
- Director Michael Nankin has also worked on Battlestar Galactica, as have the three writers, plus actors Kate Vernon, Rekha Sharma, Ronald D. Moore and Grace Park.
- The gun used in the "Astro Quest Redux" scene is a redressed FN P90 submachine gun, which was featured prominently in Stargate: Atlantis
- List of CSI: Crime Scene Investigation episodes
- CSI:Crime Scene Investigation Season 9
- Category:Images from A Space Oddity
|CSI:Las Vegas Season 9|
|For Warrick • The Happy Place • Art Imitates Life • Let it Bleed • Leave out All the Rest • Say Uncle • Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda • Young Man with a Horn • 19 Down • One to Go • The Grave Shift • Disarmed and Dangerous • Deep Fried and Minty Fresh • Miscarriage of Justice • Kill Me If You Can • Turn, Turn, Turn • No Way Out • Mascara • The Descent of Man • A Space Oddity • If I Had a Hammer... • The Gone Dead Train • Hog Heaven • All In|