Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|A Bullet Runs Through It, Part 2|
|Original Airdate||November 17, 2005|
|Previous Episode: A Bullet Runs Through It, Part 1|
|Next Episode: Dog Eat Dog|
The CSIs shift through the overwhelming evidence from a shootout with drug dealers in order to determine who is responsible for the death of a police officer killed during the incident.
Now looking among their own for the shooter who killed an officer during the shootout, the CSIs continue processing the neighborhood to close the case and track down everyone involved.
- Brass has been disciplined or suspended six or seven times in his career.
- Hodges is not good at sports.
- Goof: When the "CSI Shot" of the firing of Brass'/Curtis' gun; it shows a Glock being fired. Both of the detectives carry Sig-Sauer 9mm handguns.
- First time Hodges went out into the field.
- Catherine: So just how bad was the meeting with the undersheriff?
- Ecklie: Worse than the dentist, but better than the proctologist.
- (At a community meeting in a church)
- Grissom: Hello. My name is Dr. Gil Grissom. I'm the night shift supervisor of the Las Vegas Police Department's crime lab. I'm not a police officer, I'm a scientist.
- Shooter's Brother: You work for the cops, that makes you a cop. You're not on our side.
- Grissom: Actually, I'm a forensics expert. My job is to collect physical evidence from a crime scene to determine who did what to whom and how did they did it. I've been asked to come here today by the Mayor and Sheriff Berdic to present our analysis of the evidence in this case to your community.
- Shooter's Mom: Why here? Why should we believe your evidence?
- Grissom: Physical evidence cannot be wrong, it doesn't lie. It's not influenced by emotion or prejudice, it's not confused by the excitement of the moment. I'm here (looks up) in God's house to explain to you the truth about exactly what happened the other day.
- Hodges: I got blood.
- Sara: Where's it from?
- Hodges: Expended bullet, Torres house, candle in the living room.
- Sara: That's our through and through.
- Bobby: Looks like a copper-jacketed nine-millimeter, consistent with cop ammo.
- Sara: Brass, Sofia, Adams, Davis and Carroll were all shooting nines. Compare it with their firearms, ASAP. I'm gonna go tell Grissom.
- Wendy: I got your results from the blood on the bullet. It definitely belongs to Officer Bell. This is my first deceased police officer. I heard that his wife is pregnant.
- Grissom: Wendy, you understand that this is confidential.
- Wendy: Yes, sir.
- Grissom: And you can't discuss it, even with your co-workers.
- Wendy: I understand what this means.
- Grissom (about the shell casings/bullets Greg recovered during the pursuit): Only AK ammo? No police cartridges or bullets?
- Greg: Not one out of 233 items. But cops don't get to shoot car-to-car, only bad guys do, right?
- Hodges (walks in): Oh, hey, Greg, been on vacation? Look, I know the undersheriff's on your back, so I figured I get to you quick.
- Grissom: Okay, you got to me.
- Hodges: Found red clay chips and dust in the gouges on Ricardo Estevez's .45. (hands him the results) He was the guy that was in the east alley with Brass.
- Grissom: Red clay chips?
- Hodges: Trace is consistant with roofing tiles, and clay pots.
- Greg: Who keeps a gun in a clay pot?
- Hodges: That would be no one. (Greg rolls his eyes) In a crisis, you can always count on me. (leaves)
- Greg: Doesn't he bug you?
- Grissom: No more so than anyone else around here.
- [When Grissom is in front of Brass' house]
- Brass (getting in the car): Hey, your call was a little cryptic. Must've got the results from the ballistic.
- Grissom: We did. But the test was inconclusive, so I went back to the intersection and ran a reconstruction.
- Brass: Well, I don't know how you reconstruct a warzone, I mean you don't know what it was like. It was like a fire fight. Have you talked to Sofia?
- Grissom: It wasn't Sofia. (pause) You must've stood up. Fired at the suspects over the black and whites. Officer Bell stood up at the same time right into your line of fire. Fausto shot him in the vest which spun him a little and at the same time you hit him in the neck.
- Brass (exhales): I...I swear I was behind the car. I..I..I stood up? (Grissom nods)
- Grissom: The Sheriff wants me to present our findings at a community meeting in an hour. (pause, and Brass sighs)
- Brass: Don't keep him waiting. (gets out of the car)
- Carroll: I shot an armed suspect who was shooting at the police.
- Grissom: I believe you. But the witnesses may also be right.
- Brass: Look, don't make this some intellectual exercise for your own personal amusement, alright?
- Grissom: Check it out. Hodges, stand over here.
- Hodges: Yes, sir.
- Grissom: See that roof?
- Hodges (looks up): It's red clay.
- Grissom: Toss one of the guns up there.
- Hodges: Actually they're Bobby Dawson's guns. He made me sign for them. I'm sure he wouldn't appreciate it if we brought them back damaged.
- Grissom: Technically they're my guns so toss one up there.
- Hodges: Just for the record, I've never really been good sports. (Grissom immediately looks at Sara)
- Grissom: Sara.
- Sara: Yeah. (Hodges hands her a gun and moves out of the way. She throws the gun on the roof)
- Ortega: How does that prove that the guy tossed the gun up there? You recovered it from the ground.
- Grissom: There's a cracked tile on the roof. I found a series of scratches stretching from the cracked tile to the end of the roof.
- Hodges: I found scratches and red clay dust on the suspect's .45.
- Grissom: It explains how the witnesses saw Estevez with his hands up and Sergeant Carroll, then saw him with a gun in his hands.
- Ortega: Gun's still up there.
- Grissom: Sara, try it again. (hands her another gun and she throws it up there, and it comes back down and she catches it) There you have it.
- Grissom: Hey, how're you doin' with Bell's bullet?
- Bobby: Just confirmin' my findings, don't wanna make any mistakes.
- Grissom: Does that mean you have results?
- Bobby: The bullet has the right GRC's for a SIG Sauer, Adams has a Beretta, Carroll too. Davis has a Glock, so that rules them out. However both Detectives Brass and Curtis carry SIG's. Take a look.
- Grissom (looking at the bullet): There's hardly any jacket left.
- Bobby: Means there's almost no chance of identifying that to a specific gun.
- Grissom: What if you had more time, could you do it?
- Bobby: Sorry, boss. I mean, there's just no way that I can tell you who shot Officer Bell.
- Ecklie: So is there anything that I can tell the undersheriff?
- Grissom: Yeah. Dead end on Fausto.
- Ecklie: You tell him.
- Sofia: Hey, I left you a couple of messages.
- Grissom: Oh. (pulls out his cell and looks at it) You know, I haven't gotten to them yet, sorry. You're on adminstrative leave though, you should be at home gettin' some rest.
- Sofia: Yeah. I tried. I..I can't stop thinkin' about this-- this Bell shooting.
- Grissom: That's understandable.
- Sofia: Grissom, I think that, maybe there a possibility that maybe I shot him.
- Grissom: Sofia, we can't discuss...
- Sofia: It's something that I remembered giving my statement.
- Grissom: Well, then it's already on the record.
- Sofia: No, something that I didn't mention.
- Grissom: Sofia…
- Sofia: Please listen to me. Bell was between me and the suspect. I was shooting over his cover which is a violation of policy. (flashback, to when Bell stands up and gets shot) I was.. I was just trying to stay alive. But if I did it I uh..
- Sara (walking in): Grissom, I uh... (looks up from her file) Sofia. You're on adminstrative leave.
- Sofia: I know.
- Sara: You should not be in this building.
- Sofia: I was just talking to a friend. If I can't talk to a friend, who the hell am I supposed to talk to?
- Sara: Any friend outside the department.
- Sofia: And how many friends outside of work do you have, Sara? Oh, maybe I should go talk to my mother, oh, no, sorry, I forgot, she's a cop too.
- Sara: I can recommend a departmental psychologist.
- Sofia (to Grissom): This was a really bad idea I'm sorry. (leaves, and Sara glares at Grissom)
- Bobby: Hodges, it's not so much like these guns are my babies, okay? It's just that in order to replace them I have to go to property, gotta locate another gun, fill out all this paperwork. So all I'm sayin' is that I'd appreciate not being left outta the loop, 'kay?
- Hodges: I'm only a soldier in this army. The general issued an order and I followed it. (Sara smirks at them)
- (Grissom is up on a ladder looking at a red clay roof, Sara is holding the ladder)
- Grissom: Sara?
- Sara: Yeah?
- Grissom: Call Hodges at the lab. Tell him to bring two exemplar .45's out here. I'll get Ortega and tell him to bring Brass and Sergeant Carroll.
- Sara: Are you going to tell me what's going on?
- Grissom: What goes up must come down.
- Ortega: Sergeant Adams and Officer Bell were making a routine traffic stop on a Buick, before they were able to effect the stop a stolen Caprice intervened. Adams said that they just cut 'em off and started firing. They were followed in the pursuit by Officer's Carroll and Davis and Detective's Brass and Curtis. The Caprice TC'ed during the pursuit. They just kept firing.
- Vartaan: We got three of them off of prints. Priors for narcotics, and connections to the Mexican Mafia.
- Ecklie: In addition, the additional set of prints found in the car came back to a Jose Fausto, the guy shot at the motel.
- UnderSheriff McKeen: I've heard enough about him. Why would these knuckleheads pull in front of a police car making a traffic stop and engage us in a gun fight?
- Ortega: If the Buick was moving drugs, maybe the Caprice was providing security. Keeping the cops and rival gang members away.
- Ecklie: We don't have a Buick, so there's no evidence to confirm that.
- UnderSheriff McKeen: Well, if these guys are a bunch of drug dealing thugs, why on the news are they unarmed and we shot them in the back?
- Ecklie: Because that's what the eyewitnesses are saying.
- UnderSheriff McKeen: And that we shot an innocent high school kid.
- Ecklie: Uh, Ricardo Estevez, male, Hispanic, shot in the alley east of third. Three entrance wounds to the front of the torso, none to the back. Ballistics matched the bullets to Sergeant Carroll's gun. Found a .45 auto recovered next to the body.
- Ortega: Captain Brass states that he had it pointed at the suspect when he came around the corner.
- Vartann: We have eyewitnesses who claim that they saw the suspect with his hands raised, just before he was shot.
- UnderSheriff McKeen: Can you resolve this?
- Ortega: Sergeant Carroll partially confirms eyewitness accounts. When Captain Brass approached he momentarily took his eyes off of the suspect, when he looked back the suspect was holding a gun.
- Vartann: Probably pulled it from his waistband.
- Ecklie: There's no evidence that puts a gun in the suspect's hand at that point.
- UnderSheriff McKeen: What about the guy in the other alley?
- Ecklie: Salvador Romero, 19, also shot in front. Autopsy's pending. Chemical tests show that he held a gun. You're not gonna believe this. A bullet from Officer Davis' gun hit the suspect's revolver, jamming the cylinder.
- UnderSheriff McKeen: Well, that would mean that the gun had to be pointing at Officer Davis.
- Vartann: There are several eyewitnesses saying that they saw him plant the gun on the body.
- Ortega: It wasn't planted. It was mishandled.
- UnderSheriff McKeen: Mishandled by who?
- Ortega: Contrary to policy, Officer Davis prematurely picked up the gun. Detective Curtis instructed him to set it back down, which he did.
- Ecklie: Well, an eyewitness seeing that could certainly misinterpret that as planting a gun. (Grissom walks in)
- UnderSheriff McKeen: Please tell me you've got some good news.
- Grissom: I have the autopsy findings on Leandro Chavez. He died of survivable wounds. Bled out at the crime scene waiting for transport.
- Vartann: There's justification for this.
- UnderSheriff McKeen: Yeah, well I can't wait to hear what that is.
- Vartann: Paramedics prioritize transport of the injured. Downed officer first, civilians next and by the time they got to the suspect he'd passed on. Well, it's just a little retroactive birth control.
- Ortega: You see this is the problem that the community has with us. You don't speak Spanish, so you think that they don't speak English and then when you run your mouth….
- UnderSheriff McKeen: Alright, keep on point. Which one of these buttheads shot Officer Bell.
- Grissom: We have reason to believe Officer Bell was killed by friendly fire. It was a through and through and we haven't recovered the bullet yet, it's a big crime scene.
- UnderSheriff McKeen: Unacceptable. Get back out there and find that bullet, I don't care if it takes everybody you got working around the clock.
- Grissom: I said we haven't found it yet. I didn't say we weren't looking.
- William Petersen ... Gil Grissom
- Marg Helgenberger ... Catherine Willows
- Gary Dourdan ... Warrick Brown
- George Eads ... Nick Stokes
- Jorja Fox ... Sara Sidle
- Eric Szmanda ... Greg Sanders
- Robert David Hall ... Dr. Al Robbins
- Wallace Langham ... David Hodges
- Paul Guilfoyle ... Captain Jim Brass
- Conor O'Farrell ... Undersheriff Jeffrey McKeen
- Louise Lombard ... Sofia Curtis
- Gerald McCullouch ... Bobby Dawson
- Brennan Elliott ... Sergeant Carroll
- Larry Mitchell ... Officer Mitchell
- Marc Vann ... Conrad Ecklie
- Alex Carter ... Detective Vartann
- Liz Vassey ... Wendy Simms
- José Zúñiga ... Detective Cavaliere
- Charley Rossman ... Officer Beltran
- Daniel Bess ... Officer Bell
- Bre Blair ... Tracy Bell
- A Martinez ... Assemblyman Danilo Zamesca
- Yeniffer Behrens ... Bianca Guerro
- Scott DeFoe ... SWAT Commander
- James McMann ... News Camera Man
- Seth Michaels ... Stuckey's Brother
- Jose Pillado ... Carlos
- Marco Rodríguez ... Carlos' Lawyer
- Charley Rossman ... Officer Beltran
- Steve Ryan ... Sergeant Adams
- Sophia Santi ... Stuckey's Mother
- Nestor Serrano ... Detective Ortega
- Edwin Villa ... Jose "Lucky" Fausto